I recently wrote about the importance of taking pictures and as part of that I have given some thought to how we take and store pictures. Most of us are using some type of digital camera. From there, we usually upload them to our computers. Where we WILL run into problems with this is when we have a computer problem and lose all of our treasured pictures, not to mention if you lost your images on your computer in a fire. When people lose their treasured possessions in a fire, the pictures are the one thing that they cannot replace.
“What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
I have found what is a great solution. I have revisited flickr looking for a better solution. Flickr has made some wonderful new changes along with the wonderful features they have already offered over the years. The Pro version is a real steal at only $25 a year. Here’s the scoop:
Flickr Pro is the best deal on the web for uploading and sharing your photos. No where else offers access to your original files, unlimited uploads, unlimited storage, and unlimited bandwidth for as little as $1.87 per month.
With Pro you get:
- Unlimited photo uploads (50MB per photo)
- Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
- The ability to show HD Video
- Unlimited storage
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Archiving of high-resolution original images
- The ability to replace a photo
- Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
- View count and referrer statistics
- Limitation of maximum image size available to others
- Ad-free browsing and sharing
Compare that to what you get with a Free Account:
- 300 MB monthly photo upload limit (30MB per photo)
- 2 video uploads each month (90 seconds max, 150MB per video)
- Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
- Post any of your photos in up to 10 group pools
- Only smaller (resized) images accessible (though the originals are saved in case you upgrade later)
Whether you choose, flickr or opt to go with another method, please make it a priority to have an off-site backup of your most treasured possessions. Should anything happen, you will have the amazing relief of knowing your pictures are safe.