We all want to know how to live a long and happy life. I am always fascinated when I see someone in their 90s or 100s who seem so vibrant and has learned the secrets of how to live a long and happy life. THAT gets my attention. WHAT is their secret? While watching The Ellen Show today, 105 year old Edythe Kirchmaier tells all. Just that morning she was getting her driver’s license renewed. She was completely vibrant. May she celebrate many more wonderful birthdays. She is a hero to all of us showing what we can have. Her secrets to a long and happy life are simple.
How to Live a Long and Happy Life – Secrets from a 105 Year Old Woman
- Be happy.
- Think positive.
- Don’t worry. If you can’t do anything about it, don’t let it bother you.
Thank you, Edythe Kirchmaier, for sharing your secrets with us. You are a true inspiration. I also would like to add one more thing about Edythe Kirchmaier and that is that she is a giver. She has volunteered for years with Direct Relief.
I know some of us may read that list and think, “Oh, if it were only that simple.” Sometimes it sure seems that some people are born with the happy gene while others of us are born with the worry gene. Some of it may be learned behaviors. Some of it may be the fact that we never learned healthy attitudes. So for those of us who may struggle with these attitudes, let’s list some simple steps that we can take each day to help us more easily adopt this new attitudes.
Be a Leading Lady Action Steps for a Long and Happy Life
- Laugh more.
- Watch funny movies and shows.
- Read funny books.
- Spend time with people who are funny and full of joy.
- Say no to negative thoughts. Become conscious of them. Stop them. And replace them with a positive thought.
- Realize that worrying never added a single day to anyone’s life. If you cannot do anything about it, you must let it go. When it comes to mind. Stop, drop, and replace. Do not let what is worrying you become your focus. Not only will it not add years to your life, but can take years from your life.
The more we take these simple action steps, the happier we will be, and the easier it will be. Start where you are do something every day that makes you happier. Write a few simple things down on a yellow sticky and keep it where you will see it daily, or even better several times a day or all day. It is easy to fall into old habits if we do not do something to remind ourselves of the new behavior or new attitude that we want to embrace. Make happiness your new habit.
What are your secrets to living a long and happy life? Is there anything you would add to her list?